Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Euskogudari

Another Basque name ("Basque Soldier"), Eusko is a Protection Paladin. After my first failed attempt with Pallies, I was a little reluctant to play him but he's becoming more of a favorite. Eusko got the "gatherer" tag put on him - Mining/Skinning - since i had all the professions covered already on my other toons. With the news on WotLK and Inscription, this should work out marvellously for me, just drop one of those low-investment skills and keep my Trade Skills Cartel going strong! Eusko is also my default banker. I did it initially because he had almost nothing in the bank, so I bought a few more slots for him and just started funnelling everything stackable into him. Now, everyone else has room in the bank and I have one convenient slot to go to for materials and cash. Easy as pie.

At the moment, I've got him geared in some pretty ridiculous stuff for his level, so he's really fun to tank with. Pally tanking is so different from the other classes that it's taken some getting used to, but I feel like I'm getting pretty good at it (I would be remiss *not* to mention http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ at this point as the advice there has been nothing short of a revelation). What's fun about Pally Tanking is the ability to grab and hold a whole lot of mobs at once, and he's sufficiently durable that any halfway skilled healer can keep him up under the assault. What sucks is the lack of a true Taunt. When you lose aggro on a mob as a Paladin, it's time to put that prayin' to use. I've discovered that using Blessing of Protection on the target will return the mob to you (most of the time), but that's got a cooldown of like, forever...

The other problem with tanking on a Paladin is, people are idiots. Without Avenger's Shield in the talent tree yet, I rely on running into the center of the mobs in question, dropping Consecrate to get their attention and then backing it up with Holy Shield and as much other Holy damage as I can put out. Noob Hunters (in particular) fail to recognize this as an effective method of tanking (apparently, it appears reckless and/or they dont trust me) and always seem to feel the need to prove what great players they are by pulling mobs and taking the first shot. Fine if I ask you to do it, but I'd personally rather engage my targets a good distance from my casters and hold them there.. and that goes right out the window with one of those types in your group.

People don't trust Pally tanks much either. Try going in LFG sometime as a Pally tank. Groups that are "LF1M Need Tank" seem oblivious when you volunteer. Better off to take that Arms Warrior, I guess, because... he's a Warrior. Have fun with your repair bills, guys, and GG. Some days, I think I should just go Holy or RetNoob and get it over with, but I'm stayin' committed. I need a plate wearer at 70, and I want to prove to someone that Paladins can be good - even great - tanks if you know how to play 'em. I'm still learning. :)

No comments: